Monday, July 23, 2012

Step 1.

I begin this post with a bit of a story. My husband left me for another woman. At the time I had a 2 year old and a 3 month old son. Much of my message will circle around to this, for as you can imagine it was a very big life changing moment for me.

So let's begin with forgiveness.

I know hard to believe that forgiveness is where I would like to begin but I find that if we don't address this head on, it will hold us back from so many blessings in our lives.

Ephesians 4:31-32 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

I firmly believe that all scripture is God breathed, therefore this is what God is telling us.

He says get rid of bitterness, it is so easy to allow unforgiveness to turn to bitterness, especially with my husband's mistress. I don't know why but for me it's been harder to forgive her than him. She was supposedly my friend, I gave her the job at our business. It didn't take long for them to start having an inappropriate relationship. But I have to remember, it wasn't her, he would have cheated with someone else.

So step one, say OUT LOUD I forgive ________________. Pray about over it.

Lord, help me to forgive Jen, help me to see her as you see her. God please change my heart from bitterness to forgiveness. Give me strength in moments of weakness and remind me that I have forgiven Jenifer. Remove the anger and pain from my heart and set me free from this burden. You say in Romans 12 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath So I give this burden to you. You have the right and ability to judge and punish Jim and Jen for the sins they commit, not I. I forfeit my rights. Help me to see them with love and compassion and a deep desire to help them see you. Help me be a light to them as You are to me. Amen.

Now I am sure that your prayer will look very different from mine, unless you too are dealing with adultery and divorce. But I can promise you that once you say it, and pray it you will feel better. And you will most likely have to remind yourself that you have given this pain to God because moments of weakness will come and you will want to dish out some hurt because you hurt but don't. Remember your prayers.

I think we will end here for today, but tomorrow we will talk more about the importance of forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment